Thursday, May 16, 2019

After Forever (oil on canvas, 2019)



Sometimes when I am working with a student, explaining to them what is not working in their drawing or painting and showing them how to correct it, they will exclaim' "This is really hard!"

Making art is, indeed, difficult, especially if one aims to do it well. Aspiring artists must become fluent in the language of visual form and proficient with whichever media they choose to use as their primary mode of expression, all of which requires an inordinate amount of study and practice, combined with the tenacity to continue to work in spite of the frequent and seemingly insurmountable obstacles that every artist eventually faces. And sometimes, more frequently if you are a beginner, the work isn't very good. This has nothing to do with a lack of talent; it's simply a by-product of the learning process. And working creatively means taking risks and attempting to do things that you've never done before - pushing the boundaries of your abilities and expectations. I've spent tens of thousands of hours drawing and painting in my lifetime and, although I have built up a considerable amount of skill and knowledge, I still find myself challenged every time I work because I intentionally try to extend the limits of my practice and to make images that I have never seen before. My need to be surprised by the outcome is one of the main factors that drives me to work in the first place. If I am not challenging my own expectations, how can I possibly challenge those of the viewer?

If you are involved in any creative endeavor, whether it be visual art, a musical instrument, writing, or any of the myriad forms of creative expression, and you find yourself struggling with the difficulties of developing technique and feeling like you're paddling against the current, remember that the most important thing is that you keep working. Instruction and feedback from others who are involved in your field can be useful and can expedite certain aspects of the learning process (and learning how to take criticism without bring offended is vital to artistic growth) but there's no substitute for hard work. And you have to allow yourself to fail. A lot. Seriously. The greatest teachers I've ever had have been my own failures.

Talent isn't a gift. It's the reward for thousands of hours of hard work.

No comments: