Monday, May 15, 2017

It's a New Dawn, It's a New Day (oil on canvas 2017)



One of the properties that I love most about oil paint is that it stays wet and workable for several days. I generally like to work a painting whilst the paint is still wet, but sometimes, for various reasons (illness, other commitments, house guests, or a painting that just turns out to be very complicated and difficult), that isn’t possible. Such was the case with this painting. I had a five day window of time in which to complete it, but I wasn’t able to resolve the image before the paint started to dry. Much to my chagrin, I found myself out of my comfort zone and having to remix my colors and paint on top of a surface that was no longer workable. Interestingly, though, I found that my being forced to work this way ended up resulting in a surface that was very dense and textural and ultimately perfect for this particular image. (Click on the close-up below to get a better sense of what I mean.)



Once again I reminded of the importance (not just in art-making, but in all aspects of life) of knowing when to surrender – to relinquish control and allow things to unfold as they will. This is often one of the most daunting challenges for artists. We tend to want to have control over the finished product and can be afraid to trust our instincts. Ultimately, though, when faced with a choice between my intellect and my intuition, I have found that it is my intuition that always points to the truth.

2 comments:

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Très belle oeuvre.

J'apprécie les mots qui l'accompagnent. Je comprends votre ressenti. Nous avons tendance à vouloir dominer jusqu'au bout notre sujet. Mais il est bon de lâcher prise et de laisser venir les choses en les domptant.
Très joli travail.

Gros bisous 🌸

Frank said...

Thank you!