Monday, June 4, 2012

Three of a Kind (oil on canvas, 2012)


(Private Collection)
There's a great line in one of my favorite David Lynch movies, "Lost Highway", spoken by Bill Pulman's character when he says, "I like to remember things my own way...the way I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened." I do a great deal of paintings based on memory. Sometimes I will come back to my studio with a very loose, gestural sketch which I will develop into a painting based on my memory of looking at the subject. Also, I find that even when I am looking directly at a subject and working, memories, especially from my childhood, will enter into the image. A scene will remind me of a place or time from when I was young and I will, through choices of color, composition, etc., paint the scene to look like my memory rather than an objective representation of the subject. This painting was done in my studio based on a sketch that I did last summer of these old barns near the Wiley Road here in Littleton, which I have drawn many times over the past few years.

1 comment:

martinealison said...

Nos fermes autour de chez moi sont un peu différentes... mais moi aussi j'aime ces paquets de maisons qui font une ferme. Ces fermes ont une atmosphère que j'aime car il y a une âme et votre peinture a elle aussi une âme.
Une très belle composition qui en fait une magnifique peinture.
Gros bisous