Thursday, January 20, 2011

View from Ross Ridge (oil on canvas, 2011)


This painting is based on some drawings that I did standing in the snow at the top of Ross Ridge, looking east over northern Littleton and on into New Brunswick. I haven't had heat in my studio for the past week and working in the cold has forced me to work at a much faster pace, more akin to when I'm actually working outside and have to capture the image before the light changes. Not that I enjoy working with frozen hands, but the process of working in the cold gives the work an urgency, causing me to focus on the essential and minimizing the temptation to overwork the painting and fill it with unnecessary descriptive information.

1 comment:

Terry Kelly said...

Frank, like the painting, stark.
better get the heat on for Sunday, Monday! Bundle up!