Sunday, August 9, 2009

Potato Field in Blossom (pastel, 2009)


I was in my studio teaching from 9:00 am until 5:00 yesterday and was a little burnt out, but it was such a beautiful day (FINALLY!) that I couldn't allow myself not to go outside and do some work. I hiked up the road with my pastel bag and was planning to do a drawing of the house that is in the distance of this picture, but I decided, once I got there, to hike further down the trail and stumbled into this potato field. I really liked the way the afternoon shadows fell on the barn, but I had no idea how I was going to deal with the potato plants in the foreground. I thought about just cropping them out, but I didn't really want to do a "barn" picture and, besides, that would have been taking the easy way, which rarely is the right way.

No comments: